07 Nov What if I’m a dental phobic?
Fear of “the dentist” or “dentists” is pretty common. We all have phobic friends with horror stories. If you’ve had bad experiences with dentists in the past, especially as a child, the thought of a drill or even “that dentist smell” can put you off.
It’s our aim to get you beyond those memories. Waiting until you HAVE to go because of pain or some other problem only keeps that horrible cycle going.
(Only servicing your car when the oil light is on and you’ve got smoke coming from the bonnet gets a similar result!)
Other than being super lovely and gentle, our dentist can use some of these great techniques to get nervous folk comfortable including:
- Relative Analgesia (Laughing/Happy Gas)
- Twilight Sedation
- Full General Anaesthesia (rare but available if necessary)
For information on these check out our Sedation link.
Otherwise here are some tips to help prepare you for a appointment:
- We are very understanding of nervous patients. Please let us know if you are one!
- A few hours before your visit, refrain from drinking coffee, soft drinks, or any other beverage that may make you jittery and nervous.
- Eat foods high in protein, such as cheese and eggs, because they can produce a calming effect on your body.
- Get plenty of rest the night before, so you arrive calm and relaxed.
- Arrive early and take a few minutes to relax in the air-conditioning before your appointment.
- Tell our receptionist (and your dentist) prior to your appointment if you are especially nervous so that a treatment plan can be designed specifically for your comfort levels.
- Relax with the television on the ceiling, or bring a set of headphones with your favourite tunes loaded up.
We at Kawana Dental are proud of helping thousands of patients to not fear dentistry. We enjoy treating happy people! Of course, it’s much more fun for us too. It’s great to watch a new patient change from saying “It’s not you personally… I just hate going to the dentist” to confidently looking forward to treatment and walking out relaxed and confident.
Our small aim is to change the whole perception of dentists and dentistry!